Over in Somerville Lou Bunk produces the amazing, ear/eye expanding OPEN SOUND concert series; a series that features improvisers and interpreters of avant-garde, experimental, acoustic, and electro-acoustic music. Lou himself is a composer and improviser performing in ensembles like Dave Gross’ GRIZZLER, and Andrew Eisenberg’s FLUNK among others.
Ten thoughts to rethink when deciding to attend a concert of avant-garde-experimental-electro-acoustic music in 2014:
· I am not into THAT type of noise.
· I know those musicians, so it will certainly be a good concert.
· I know THOSE musicians, so it will certainly be a bad concert.
· Is the music neo-modern, post-everything, blah-blah… ?
· I only like avant-garde music when it is played from a score.
· I only like avant-garde music when it is not played from a score.
· I don’t like avant-garde music.
· Will it just sound like my broken refrigerator?
· That musician is too old to play anything interesting.
· These young whippersnappers got nothing on the musicians of the good ole glory days. So get off my lawn!