The DIY pride of Boston, psychedelic swooners QUILT always approach things a bit different. Members Shane Butler and Anna Fox Rochinski took some time off their busy schedules to reflect on the past year. Instead of a hierarchical list of the past year’s highlights, they chose to pay tribute to 2014 through—what else—music. Here are a pair of sublime mixes that reveal the meandering influences of these mellow rockers. Catch Quilt for their first show of the year at the Paramount Theatre in Boston TOMORROW!
What milk do you drink everyday? The milk of the future? Most milk is yesterday’s milk; almonds, grass, hemp, cows . . . whatever the milker had going on the day the milk was going on. People seem to be looking for future milk. I’ve never seen future milk, but I’ll drink the milk of today. Maybe the milk of today will be the milk of the future and the future milk will be the milk of today.
1. Theme from Saint Dyaneshwar (film)
2. John Cage — ‘I Have Nothing to Say, And I Am Saying It.’
3. Mike Cooper — Paper & Smoke
4. Brigitte Fontaine & Areski — Petit Sepin
5. Tool Shed — Angel In Her Walk
6. Daniel Emmanuel — Arabian Fantasy
7. Henry Miller — On Surrealists
8. The Shilohs — Days Of Wine
9. Broadcast & The Focus Group — One Million Years Ago
10. Kevin Ayers — May I
11. Stone Harbour — Dying To Love You
12. Caethua — Black Water
13. M. Geddes Gengras — Ishi
14. White Magic — The Light
15. Huun-Huur-Tu — Donen Shilgi
16. Air — Biological
17. Namagirapettai Krishnan — Gnanavinayagane-Nattai
ANNA FOX ROCHINSKI
In lieu of a top ten list, I made this mix of my favorite artists/songs that I encountered in 2014 through touring, shows, and the festival circuit.